Seattle Coder Dojo Exercises
Teachers: Feel free to use anything you find here in your own Scratch classes.
If you have questions or comments, send me email at michaeladamkatz at yahoo dot com.
Older Projects Below Here
Beginning exercises. Draw with the pen. Use repeat loops.
Learn about variables.
Learn about functions and parameters.
Program a maze game. (remix to make your changes)
More for beginners: play with different blocks of code!
Make a flapping bird game! (remix to make your changes)
Make a movie adventure using these phrases...
Learn about cloning with the Ghost Busterball project!
Learn about probability, loops, and variables with simulations!
Another movie challenge: Alice in Scratchland!
DojoMan: Our version of PacMan, which uses everything we've learned so far: key handling, repeat, if/then, broadcast, variables, clones, random, lists. Remix it. Study it. Present it. Finish it. Live it.
15 Puzzle (learn about lists! you'll be glad you did!)
Cat Doodle -- a fun place to start
Bumper Pool/Pinball game -- can you help turn it into a complete game?
Tic Tac Toe
Dog Days Temperature Simulator
Optical Illusions -- can you make them in Scratch?
Rube Goldberg Mouse Trap -- learning about broadcast/receive (August 9, 2014 at Amazon)
Machine design: RubeGoldberg.pdf
Typing Synergy (keyboard skills) (August 16, 2014 at DigiPen)
Your challenges: RubeGoldberg.pdf
Idiom Animations (August 23, 2014 at Amazon)
Idioms to animate: IdiomAnimations.pdf
Q*bert (September 13, September 20, September 27, and October 4, 2014 at Amazon)
Plants vs. Zombies (October 2014 at Amazon)
Angry Turkeys (November 2014 at Amazon)
Snowflakes (December 2014 at Amazon)
Abstraction with functions, inputs, and variables (January 10, 2015 at Amazon)
Sokoban and Pengo (January 2015 at Amazon)
Charlie Brown Super Bowl (January 31, 2015 at Amazon)
Valentine Memory Match (February 7, 2015 at Amazon)
A-maze-ing Programming (February 21, 2015 at Amazon)
Maze Game Maker (February 28, 2015 at Amazon)
Bouncy Circle Game (March 14 -- Pi Day! -- 2015 at Amazon)
Guide to making the game: BouncyCircleProject.pdf
Rabbit Runner (March 21 & 28 -- first week of spring! -- 2015 at Amazon)
Guide to making the game: RabbitRunner.pdf
Hangman (April 4, 2015 at Amazon)
Your challenges: Hangman.pdf
Space Rendezvous (April 11 and April 18, 2015 at Amazon)
Space Invaders (April 25, 2015 at Amazon)
Your challenges: SpaceInvaders.pdf
Magic Mother's Day Card (May 2 and May 9, 2015 at Amazon)
Lunar Lander (May 16 and May 30, 2015 at Amazon)
Your challenges: LunarLander.pdf
Lip Syncing (May 30, 2015 at Amazon)
Centipede (June 13, 2015 at Amazon)
Your challenges: Centipede.pdf
Game of Life (June 27, 2015 at Amazon)
Abstraction with functions, inputs, and variables (July 10, 2015 at Amazon)
Trivia Maze (August 22, 2015 at Amazon)
Project guide: TriviaMaze.pdf
Arrows, Boxes, and 2048 (Sept. 26 and Oct. 3, 2015 at Amazon)
Qbert starter project and challenges (Oct. 10, 2015 at Amazon)
Qbert final game challenges (Oct. 17, 2015 at Amazon)
- Make a (quiet) sound when qbert lands on a block.
- Make it so that when qbert lands on a block it doesn't change all to blue, but shows one of your intials instead. Can you make it randomly show a different one of your initials?
- Make it so that when qbert hits a snake he not only says "ouch" but also spins around in a circle. (have qbert broadcast to himself to do this)
- Make a different/better death for qbert. Maybe make him splat on the ground instead of falling off the bottom of the screen.
- Make a different/better death for the snake.
- Make it so the blocks have three colors. They start beige. They change to blue when qbert lands on them. They change to green when qbert lands on them again.
- Make the game start with one snake, and then make a new snake join in every 10 seconds.
- Keep track of how many times qbert gets hit by a snake. When this number gets too high, the game is over.
- Play with the number inputs to the Jump function to make qbert jump faster.
- Make the snake bionic so that sometimes it jumps super high (but sometimes it does its normal jump).
- Make the board a different shape. Instead of pyramid, make it so the first row has 7 blocks,
the second row has 6 blocks, and the third row has 5 blocks (and the other rows are the same as before).
This creates a cool butterfly shaped board. Now, change the CheckDeath function for qbert so he jumps around
correctly on this new board. Make the same change for the snake.
Candy Runner (Oct. 24 and 31, 2015 at Amazon)
- Draw the player in your Halloween costume.
- Make more/better candy drawings.
- Use the sounds in the bully, haunted house, and witch.
- Make it so touching a witch hides the witch and loses some candy.
- Make it so touching a black cat (but not a house) hides the cat and loses some candy.
- Make it so pressing the 'd' key when you are touching a house rings the doorbell and gives you more candy.
- Make it so hitting a bully with a heart makes him friendlier and gives points. A friendly bully only steals your candy and doesn't end the game.
- Make it so hitting a bully with another heart makes him even friendlier and gives points. A friendlier bully doesn't even steal your candy.
- Make it so the player has a limited number of jumps. Getting candy gives you more jumps.
The Amazing Cat and Mouse Game (November 7, 2015 at Amazon)
- Cat gets a point each time it touches a mouse.
- When cat touches a mouse, the mouse clone deletes. How quickly can you get all the mice?
- Cat has to get to goal without touching a mouse. When it touches a mouse it goes back to the start.
- Mice shoot spit-ball at the cat.
- Cat shoots spit-ball at the mice.
Angry Turkeys: The Sequel (November 21 and December 5, 2015 at Amazon)
- Customize the background or the "objects"
- Make an intro screen
- Add scoring
- Set up more than one level
Optical Illusions (January 9, 2016)
- Make any of the illusions that were demonstrated
- Escher/Penrose Stairs
- Make a stick figure walk up the stairs forever.
- Make another stick figure walk down the stairs forever.
- Make the stick figure say "hi" to each other when they pass on the stairs.
- Add costumes to make the stick figures look like they are walking.
- Portal Penguin (find art in cat project)
- Make an animation like in Portal.
- Use two copies of the penguin. As penguin #1 approaches the blue portal (with its back to us), we see pengin #2 show up in
the red portal (with its front facing us).
- Use the "go to front" and "go back" blocks to make the penguins move behind and in front of the portal sprite at the right time.
Penguin Battle (January 29, 2016)
- make the seeds spin as they fly
- when seeds touch, they annihilate
- keep score
- use sensing for keys
- make super seed that blasts through walls and keeps going (you have to touch something to get the super seed power)
- make a version where the pengiuns are always moving in the direction they are facing, to simplify the controls
Crazy Cat Claws (February 6, 2016)
Advanced Scratch (February 6, 2016)
Advanced class project guide: 2048Challenges.pdf
Advanced Scratch (February 20, 2016)
Advanced class project guide: GravityExercises.pdf
Crazy Cat Claws (February 6 and February 20, 2016)
Beginning Scratch (March 26, 2016)
Advanced Scratch (March 26, 2016)
Advanced class project guide: conveyor.pdf